William 'Shorty' D. Clouse
Clouse was never known by anything except "Shorty." He bordered three categories used for selection at the time he was inducted. As a bowler, he started in 1924. He waited until 1940 for his first 700 series, 704. As a competitor, he was a member of the Minnesota State Team Champion in 1950, contributing 660. In 1945 he had the highest single game of 299 in the Tribune Classic. As a proprietor, he built Bryant-Lake Lanes in 1939, and sold it in 1945 and moved to Melody Lanes owned by Merrill Madsen until its sale in 1957. At Melody, Clouse was one of the organizers of the All-Star League, which demanded a high average in order to qualify. He and Madsen were among those responsible for qualifying bowlers for the National All-Star Tournament. There was a time when financial obligations to the winning bowlers were not fulfilled; Shorty saw there was no deficit. He was not only interested in his establishment, but Shorty did much to further the progress bowling made during his career.